Saturday, December 22, 2007

A straight line to the holidays



London is pretty festive these days. There are lights everywhere, company Christmas parties, sales, and so many lights we forget about the daylight. Strolling on Oxford Street becomes unbearable, because half of London showed up to shop, and also because there are so many temptations in the shops. I am supposed to save some money!


Even bank was illuminated with pink spots as a party was starting inside the Royal Exchange building.

A stroll on Portobello Road revealed a very empty market, where only a few tourists dared to stroll because each side of the road was littered with shops that you can see anywhere else in the capital. My little jamaican snack shop dissapeared and was replaced by a tapas restaurant. GNN GNNN GNNN

And then it hit me. The ones staying in London for the holidays are the very rich who revels in their £400/week apartment, the very poor who cannot afford a holiday like me, and the tourists. Even my usually lively area has become quiet, only disturbed by drunken beggars and their dogs.

So this year, I will attempt to attend the midnight mass, because I rise when I am surrounded by belivers, singing in a beautiful cathedral, echoing all the heartfelt songs on the cold hard marble. It sends shivers to my spine and reminds me that there is some good in this life worth a little exploration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben c'est bon les tapas... Hier, chuis allee a la piste de ski du mall, je me sentais vraiment comme une pauvre qui ne peut pas se payer des vraies vacances au ski ... lol lol lol.... Mais on n'a pas skie, ptet demain...