Sunday, September 27, 2009

Polyglot

• adjective knowing, using, or written in several languages.

• noun a person who knows or uses several languages.

— ORIGIN Greek poluglottos ‘many-tongued’.
From the online Oxford English dictionary

Last Friday I realized how mixed up my brain connections were when I hopped into the shuttle and found my Italian and Spanish colleagues. Because they were aware I understood Spanish, they went on chatting away and making plans for the evening. I enjoyed the fluidity and running sound of the language, and was trying to switch my brain slowly to it.

Then syddenly I was even included in the conversation.
S:'Angie, vienes?'

Me:'うん, Si, たぶん (tabun)...'
My brain:'what the.., how do you say maybe again?'

N:'We will have dinner first and the others will join us for drinks or something'

Me:'OK. どこで?I mean, dónde?'
My brain:'just pick one and stick with it damnit, it's been a long day and am seriously cansada'

S:'no lo se. buscaremos para un lugar y le diremos.'

Me:'OK, see ya later then. じゃ ね.'
My Brain:'Get away now, hear the silence'

S, N:'Ciao bella'

Driver:'Bonne soiree'

Me:'Merci, a vous aussi'
My brain:'Don't look back or you'll have to say bye again and who knows in which language it will be.'

I suppose I need to get used to it soon. I will be loosing more hair and my tongue will be tied, and my brain will have many short-circuits and lots of fumbling about. Having TVE, Italian TV, CNN, BBC and French channels at home does not help as I flip channel when my J-drama are not accessible online. Imagine if I also understood Swiss-German!!!

Listening and understanding fills me with joy and brings a certain satisfaction and wonder to the everyday chores and encounters. However speaking is an excrutiating exercise of the brain that hopefully will keep it fit in the long run.

1 comment:

Zabador said...

Ca me rappelle notre backpacking et notre boat trip between Krem and Melk .. or was it Melk to Krems ???? And us wondering: why do they repeat the same thing 4 times ... then .. oups, wait a minute, that was 4 times in 4 different languages ;-) lol