Wednesday, April 02, 2008

If I had £2 000 000....

Yesterday I was sleepily pressing the button on the watermachine to get some hot tea at work before settling on my desk, when a colleague from the English team happily said: 'I bet if you were given £2 000 000 you'll be more awake and happier'....

Of course it took me about 9 years to realize he was speaking to me. Then another 8hours to register what he said. I already had my sleepy smile on my face, then andwered:'well, I don't know what I'll do with that money'. Then another 27 seconds later, with my hot camomille tea in hand, my head cleared up a bit, as he was telling me about investment, and I had to listen and try to understand what he was saying...so eventually I was forced into a conversation where my main participation was to say:'I'd have too much to do I'll be even more stressed, and let's face it, the more I have the greedier I tend to become and so I won't probably enjoy it more than now.'

After that 5 minutes conversation, I was fully awake, and worked hard until 17:30....it's only coming back home after gym, reviewing for my exam once last time (exam which I really hope I passed because I am not confident in my answers anymore)...well, after all that, when I was slipping into unconscienceness of my dear sleep, my last thought was that indeed, I wouldn't know what to do first if I get £2 000 000.

Now I think it's a bit odd, because I am sure a lot of people will have an aswer right away, of their plans, their first purchases, or investments...Is it because I don't know the value of the amount? Or because I have no plans, no objectives? Or maybe I don't aim for that amount of money so that I haven't spent it already in my mind?

It's not the lact of projects that actually stops me. It is the fact that the possession of that amount would make me happier for a long time that I challenge. Upon reception, of course I will be overjoyed to see the chance to live some projects. But it doesn't mean there won't be any sacrifices. And those still would hurt....

Because I've always beena big spender, my only chance of being happy in the morning would be to wake up very late, and getting a very sunny and warm weather...and being with people I love...how sentimental...now I guess £2 000 000 could make that happen...maybe...

In the meantime, I have to loose weight and continue running like a sloppy hippopotamus on a treadmill...may my knees not buckle and my back keep me vertical...

2 comments:

D. Ram said...

i think i'd agree with you on that. I mean if i had 2MM quid i would buy a house or some sort of safe equity. i guess im the kind of person who likes to delays spending... because of obvious reasons

but if we go along the "life is short" route and not bother about the future I would probably embark on a world expedition just travelling and studying history and im sure a book or photoblog deal will come out of it!

Anonymous said...

Like you say, I would not know how to answer, not because I have no project, but because I have never considered I could have that amount of money in the first place ! I just want a pilot licence at 4000 euros and that's probably the costliest thing I can think about right now ...

Well, after reading the other comment, maybe I could buy a house somewhere sunny, with the sea, and 12hours time difference with my actual house, just to get something on the opposite side of the world :-) Ok, I am twisted :D

En tous ca, je ne me ferais surement pas chier a investir, trop complique !