Thursday, October 08, 2009

Jazz a Geneve

I was surfing for concert venue when I stumbled on AMR. Got to the concert page and saw a trio playing Thursday night. I tried to talk some of my colleagues into joining me in an evening of jazz, when one of my colleague pointed out he was going because his brother was playing there on that night.

I guess Geneva is such a small town that it was worth it after all to ask if he knew the saxophonist who bear his name...LOL

It was a night of magic, in a cute non smoking (*) venue. The saxophone was at times whispering, then exhilarating in a fugue, Bach style, with unimaginable sound. The bass was consistently melodic, with classical guitar and Segovia inspired touches, and the drums were just as punctual and supportive as ever, with its own melody and breathing sounds.

They played all kinds of atmospheres: from children's sounds, to melancholic views of a traffic packed bridge on a sunset, a beautifully sad remembrance to an old friend...

I also found some known tunes among the improvisations: oscar peterson's night train, Satie's gymnopedie's tones played as a bass line.

It made me travel through time and through my emotions, and mad eme relax from an uneventful day, bringing me home smiling with a peaceful satisfaction, and 2 CDs.
Soundbites here.

Steve Swallow – www.wattxtrawatt.com
Ohad Talmor – www.ohadtalmor.com
Adam Nussbaum – www.adamnussbaum.net


(*)Geneva once voted to ban smoking inside public places. But then the referendum was apparently unconstitutional or toor esticting, so the result of the vote was cancelled. This weekend, they will vote again for all sorts of things. As a results, some venues are smoke free by putting a sticker at the door advertising so, and some are just smokey, by putting a sticker outside claiming prohibiting smoking is limiting liberty...so much propaganda everywhere...that will be topic of another post!

No comments: