Saturday, September 04, 2010

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet" (W. Shakespeare)

So back in the days, an alias, or screename was already put on the debate table. So Montague could be Cruise, and Capulet be Amigdala...or Anonymous.

I cannot find the origin of the catchphrase "my name is Nobody", but I was sure it was some chapter in Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. Lately it seems, the question arose on the question of one's privacy, it's place in society, and how one's identity seems to matter, or not.

Almost everyone is registered to an online social network or two these days. The ones I know usually requires a screename or a name to be picked to identify yourself. I have never thought about the weight of a name: its origin, how it describes you, it is your trail to make you accountable, it singles you out.

I was pleased to read about 4chan on this article. Maybe I was feeling suffocated and needed reassurance that having bad thoughts is no big deal and can still be expressed somehow. Of course, being Anonymous all the time would b unpractical, but it sure is a relief every now and then. Maybe that is why I enjoy moving so often.

No comments: