Sunday, March 27, 2011

My first ...being last

So i finished the 8.2km race in 1hour 2min, a full 5min faster than what my usual pace during training is. To be fair i was last from the beginning and after crossing path with everyone else encouraging me, i had the full honor of having the green fluorescent motor biker closing path behind me. During the huge slopes upward he would stop 300m ahead of me and wait. After a few encouraging words he would again advance further, and it continued like that until e let me run the last 200m on my own.
At arrival, the commentator was yelling my name to encourage me and incited all other spectators to applaud my achievement, saying that maybe it was my first race (bless!).

I gave my best smile and my best attempt to a sprint on the last 10m and then headed for the prize stand...yes of course I did all this for the prize..which turned out to be a bottle of red wine, produced by the winery where the race started and ended.



I am pretty happy i didn't injure myself on the huge slopes and didn't cramp. I ran out of breath too often to run consistently but i focused on the downward slopes not to roll carelessly. There were scary slopes with beautiful sights of the lake Geneva and the still snowy tops of the Jura.
This means I can increase my training pace to 8.0 - 8.5km/h in the next week and also do the hour run twice a week. GO ME!!

No comments: