Sunday, March 18, 2012

The strangest thing: pizza delivery

G. is visiting for a couple of days and just returned from a ski weekend with her parents. After catching up on our nonexistent love lives and meager career opportunities, it was dinnertime. She offered to order some delivery, and I warned her about the unavailability of reliable information on Geneva businesses online, especially on restaurants. All the nearby restaurants have no website or menu online. But we assumed the major delivery chains like Pizza Hut or Dominos would be a safe bet.

While doing other things, we decided to order online, after registering my email address, and choosing toppings etc, we managed to order after getting over the initial shock of the price: 37.50 CHF for a medium pizza with 3 toppings, plus a cheese bread and 1.5L drink (Nestea). She lives in NYC so she can eat for a whole week at that price. But this is Geneva and a pizza can cost 30CHF.

It took us 30min to order, and we set a delivery time  1h afterwards, at 20:00.

Time flew and our stomach started to crave the pizza. 20:00 came and went, and at finally at 20:30 we called both Dominos branch nearby to ask when our order would arrive. Their answer was depressing: they did not receive our order, despite the fact that I received 2 emails confirmed that our order was accepted....We gave up and decided to cook something quickly.

I started making my okonomiayaki base, with flour and eggs, to mix with the cabbage, onion and lardons that I cooked at noon. I mixed everything and prepared the pan to heat, when the bell rang...


A not bad looking delivery man was holding our order, and i still cannot wrap my head around it. Nobody supposedly received our order but we still got our pizza....1 hour late but I suppose I am glad I didn't order another one by phone...

I guess I will have okonomiyaki for the next 3 days...



No comments: