Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer at the beach...

We worked together in London, and we babbled in Japanese to practice the little words we knew then. Since then, she lived 4 years in Sydney, Australia, travelled South Asia, and got back to Germany this year. I was so happy to get in touch with her again, and it's one of those surprises in life.

She left me her sewing set, her straw and flower hats, her Christmas decorations when she left London, and it is with anxious curiosity that I wonder if I should give them back to her, in their very used state.

She endured much personal drama away from her family and I was trying my best to be cheerful and playful while we hung out on a beautiful sunny and windy Sunday. We hopped in her friend's car and drove to Excevenex, on the lake after my future apartment, and admired the kite surfers and windsurfers while catching up.


There was enough sun and wind to make us feel like we were at the ocean, as the waves kept crashing again the sand and grass. The Dutch ladies (Famke and Al) were tanning, while Wu and I  were napping and gossiping about old colleagues. It was an atmosphere of vacation, 30min drive from home, and Wu said she almost felt like she was back in Oz. I was enchanted to discover the beach so near to my soon to be built apartment, and for the first time, actually wished to be forwarded 2 years later...


As the evening approached, people started to leave, stomachs started to growl. Being a Sunday there was no nearby grocery store to grab a picnic, and all the farmer's markets already packed and closed. After a last look at the die hards on the water, and the Dent D'oche in the background which gave me some trouble, we decided to look for food as well.


So we roamed along the beach to check the menu of the different beach-side restaurants, and settled on a place that had a cover band, and an appealing roasted ham.


We waited more than an hours with a drink, because the ham wasn't cooked yet. When our plates came with a serving of ham and gratin dauphinois, we stopped singing along with the band and became so engrossed with the food that we didn't speak until everything was finished. The fact that it was much cheaper than anything we could have fond in Switzerland was also adding taste to the food! I was game for another serving of ham but decided to keep some space for dessert. However, Famke right away asked if it was possible to get seconds...! I was speechless again and happy she took the initiative, and so we ate another serving of honey roasted ham...Yiipeee!

We still got crepe and waffle for dessert, just to follow through the feeling of vacation and doing whatever we wanted to do. The buzz would lift us through our way back to Geneva, where the proximity and the reality of Monday morning was starting to sink in...

 Wu got reacquainted with her stuff she left me, and I bet it felt like when I came back to Raleigh and noticed the things I used to have...a memory of past lives...


No comments: