Thursday, July 26, 2012

My French for your Japanese...

I often wondered how I could meet someone that had the same guilty pleasures as myself. I mean the kind of hobby or pleasure that one would draw some weird stares or some "heeeehhhh" from uninitiated audience. Sure, there are more people that know and like manga, and even anime, even if they don't watch it in Japanese. So this day marked my first encounter with another fangirl.

It started out as a simple language exchange after work. We were wondering online on how to proceed, whether there were specific themes we should discuss, such as movies, books, life in Genf, or her experience in South Korea since I was planning a trip there. But eventually we decided to go with the flow. I waited for D. in the sun then took a petit beurre flavoured gelato to cool me down. We started introducing ourselves in French and continued about how we ended up in Genf while looking for a cafe to sit down and chat more comfortably.

We settled in Eaux-Vives, not far from the old town hall, and ordered green tea and Diabolo Menthe. She somehow introduced the subject of Japanese Dramas and Korean dramas, and we soon started to fervently discuss titles, characters, actors, actresses. In French, I was talking passionately, trying to use simple words. After about 30-40min in French, we switched to Japanese, and she was most at ease, as Japanese is her Major (duh!). So it was time for me to find my words, trying to fight the frustration of having too much to say and nothing to express it.

The fact that I could discuss about the series I watched was amazing, since they are all online and in language noone around me understands (Japanese, Korean). There is of course many forums online but it is more entertaining to read the entries than actually participate. Meeting someone in the physical realm was an unexpected event, and it was exhilarating. Speaking was no longer an option, it was a necessity.

Not only did we have the same interest in stereotypical housewive hobby, but we also had the same sources: dramacrazy and dramabeans. Sharing the same hobby kind of made me want to share it even more, since in a sense it became less taboo, less bizarre, knowing there are other real people enjoying the same interest....

And so I happily share my favourite and last watched series:

Latest kdramas:
-God's quiz (season 1 to 3)
-The moon that embraces the sun

Latest jdrama:
-Rich man poor woman
-Tokkan
-Hungry
-Legal High

Favourite jdrama:
-Anego
-Nodame Cantabile
-Liar game

 Favourite kdrama:
-Iris
-Personal Taste

Enjoy watching if you get tempted...


No comments: