Saturday, August 11, 2007

Escape from .... London

Destination: Bournemouth.


Of course, the slouched old lady doesn't look very inviting at all after the 2h train from Waterloo. But the train was full of beachgoers so I thought this must be THE place. Without knowing where to go upon arrival, all I had to do was follow the crowd (almost) dressed in white/fuschia/yellow carrying all sorts of inflatable objects(my favourite) and towels. Some people even had tents...Hopped on the yellow bus, and got dropped at the seafront to be assaulted by the cries and screams of children..I forgot it was the holidays. So much for avoiding the crowd by going on a weekday!

And those were not your well behaved kids that you would want to have around. Those were hyperactive, running all over the place, sand skidding, sand throwing kind. And their parents weren't better...It was 11:00 and those s** of **** were wasting my day. But I had my magazine, my book, my umbrella, my lambahoany and my SPF30 sunscreen, so I was happy to lie around like there were no worries in the world...felt really nice, despite the sand in the hair, nostril, and eventually eyes...There was a nice breeze so I didn't feel the heat until my shoulders actually burnt, despite all the sunscreen.

I have done people watch on the beach when tired of reading the N*ew S*cientist, and decided that people go to the beach for weird different reasons:
- to tan, even if they are very dark and brown like me
- to let the kids get dirty in sand and sea and yell at them (especially for the ninjas that came and kept scolding the kids, who were also in ninja)
- to smoke
- to watch people (yeup, me too)
- to show off their hot bodies (ugh, haven't seen a single one,...sob)
- to show off their tatoos (every single adult I saw seemed to have one at least)
- to dig up a big hole in the sand (kids' favourite activity)
- to hide in a tent (not sure why on the beach though)
- to watch the planes make a heart shaped cloud out of their rears

I came to empty my head, and I couldn't quite get to that stage where I was relieved of stress and tranquil..I missed the deserted beach and the crystal clear ocean.

No comments: