Monday, August 27, 2007

'I had a farm in Africa'

Out of Africa, Karen Blixen


Except out here, it's a barn, and we're in Spain, around Madrid. I did not expect the place to be so arid, vast yellowish land stretching to the horizon, sparsely greened by pine like trees. Almost remindin me of the Wadi in Yemen. The airport was really modern and an ode to glass structures and ceiling ventilation. I will have to take some pictures when I leave because there are a lot of geometric shapes and lines that trick my eyes and play with the lights.

We drove on highways around Madrid to pass Mostoles University where Zab works, then took a dirt road off the main road to safaria cross dunes of plants and get to the barn she calls home in Spain. It is her 'domaine', complete with a barn house, where the chicken hide from the mighty dog of the house -Ouessant - and a neighbourhood vineyard (where she'll get her free supply of grapes), and a hill from which to enjoy the sunset on the yellow grassland.

(I then didnt resist the temptation of going to the nearby Xanadu mall to explore the local 'ropas y vestidos' and have a peek at the artificial ski lanes...)

No comments: