Monday, January 17, 2011

Snowboard weekend highlights

I managed to score a ticket tot the company's winter sports weekend in Crans Montana, in Valais. It is about 3h from Geneva by coach and this time we were not stuck in snow like last year. In fact, I didn't see any snow at all when we arrived at the hotel, and got a bit worried we would have to get to the glacier before getting any snow. However as we mingled during the apero, those who arrived in the morning and were on the slopes indicated that they had very good snow. The weather forecast was sunny and 13C at the hotel level (about 1500m), so it didn't really feel like winter.

Saturday morning was stressful as we had to pick up the equipment from the rental shop. That morning started with 25min walk to town, picking up my tiny 135cm snowboard (apparently the latest design), and the not so uncomfortable snowboard shoes. Back at the hotel by bus, I found out the instructor left already (it was only 9:15am!) and I had to join them 150m away from the hotel, at the closest lift cabins. But those 150m were on a 60degree uphill slope so it was a huffing and puffing exercise to warm up for the slopes. Got there in one piece and joined a group of 2 instructors and 5 other beginners. After 2 telecabins, 2 chairlifts and a 5 min walk, we finally got to our destination: jardin des neiges, where all beginners get used to moving on snow...usually at the age of 3...
Ready for 2 days of "no pain, no shame, no gain", we launched ourselves on the slope and tumbled, crashed, rolled, bumped like a suicide squad for 2 hours, to finally be able to finish that one slope standing on the board...All in all, everyone managed to slide down the slope on their heels, so it was amazing to look back on the falls we had. In term of body pains, there is no words to describe the butt pains or knee pains...The sunny weather kept the mood high, and a drink or 2 helps relax the muscles.
Lunch was very late as 100 people from Nescafe were ahead of us, so we starved until 2pm before getting our delicious pizza. In the afternoon, I managed to do a right turn consistently but still crashed on the left turn.

The next day, I was up at 7:30am to get to the slopes at 9:00am. The weather was still beautiful and I probably tanned just resting on the conveyor belts. I had my knee pads on but still crashed on my back and butts so that i could not even sit comfortably for breakfast or lunch. Neck and headaches were part of the day as the left turn kept putting me on my knees and back. I was having a Zoolander moment. But eventually, I downed that slope in smooth turns before lunchtime and forgot the pains..until I sat down on the bench to get lunch.

Another hour of practice in the afternoon with the other girl that stuck it up and didn't give up, and we were happy to slide down more comfortably without loosing too many limbs. I really enjoyed it more than skiing, despite the painful crashes. For now, I am recovering with my blue knees, stuck neck and sore buttocks in sunny Geneva.







No comments: