Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Bent reality

So lately I have seen very worrying signs in the neighbourhood. A few weeks ago, I came across a lad with all sorts of backbacking attire and trinkets beg for 30p for a phone call...in my street whent there is no phone booth in a 100m radius! Plus seriously the street has like 4 people/min walking through it, not really the busiest street. So now am a bit anxious when I walk home late at night because they could be hungry drug addicts, desperate for their next fix. I don't know what happened to the area but it sure brings spills of bad seeds in the quiet Banglatown.

Another sign was on monday early morning when I walked to work (okay, my daily 15min to the tube, hehehehe). Just outside the bulding, on the street, I could see a woman get out of a car, and put on some clothes. Then she noticed me and the guy in the car yelled something at her so that she got back in the car. But I could see she was topless and wearing very strange knickers. I tried to pretend I was invisible when walking past the parked car. WTF? It was 06:20 and daylight was imprinting these images on my barely woken mind...urgh...so much for breakfast.

I tried to grasp some air after the initial compulsive gagging, and saw a police car parking in front of the BanglaCash & carry. then a uniformed man (that light reflecting fluorescent yellow plastic jacket) and a non uniformed woman (that looked like an old alcoholic butcher) came out and walked in the street I was about to take. I had my ipod at a hair rising volume (trying to wake up still), so I coudn't hear much of the outside world, but I managed to say good morning and i heard a loud good morning from the woman. Then they knocked on a door and I left them behind...It's nice to know they work as early as I do, and ring the bell instead of knocking loudly. But still, a police sighting is not very reassuring at times...

And as I was about to cross the road, another old hooker was yelling for 50p to make a phone call...Seriously, aren't they creatures of the night or something? My whole vision of the nice early morning walk just crumbled into piles of old and despairing smelly bones...arghhhhhh

The irony of it all came to mind when I saw the stage for the Britain's Next Top Model runway being set up on the market, just after the crossroads...Six figured salarymen during the day, and 50p begging whores and druggies during the night timeshare the area...

So many people in this town, so many needs, and so many ethics....
I live by pretending that what disturbs me does not exist....until they clash with my reality.

No comments: