Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring in music with LPO

That's the London Philharmonic Orchestra, resident of Royal Festival Hall on Southbank. I just happened to walk by on Saturday afternoon and found out they were playing. The program? You can here some sample on their website.

I was familiar with the hall, and I got to sit on the side, just behind the first violins. So I could see the orchestra and conductor from within 5-10 meters. I was very surprised when the conductor arrived on stage because I forgot I met him before: during my audition with the London Philharmonic Choir!!!!

From the first note uttered by the violins, I was pierced by the beautiful blending sounds. I don't know if it was because I was very close to the stage or because the pieces they were playing were very touching, but it made my heart slow down and my body hair rise. I was in tears and so happy.

I almost laughed when they played the nuptial march from the Mendelssohn suite. I will never be able to enjoy that piece of music during any wedding because I now have heard it with a full orchestra and its sound is so much more than a celebration of a wedding!!!

I have become a fan of that orchestra and will attend more of their performances as they ar enot too expensive compared to the Royal Symphonic Orchestra of the Royal Opera House.

No comments: