Sunday, August 23, 2009

First impressions

This morning I awoke feeling out of place, staring at the big window, though the stores and on to the balcony and rooftops. After enjoying the fresh morning air, I ventured out, in the quiet empty streets. Across the river Rhine (le Rhone), I walked into the Paquis area, across the Cornavin station, looking out for restaurants and the look of buildings. From 10 till 11 I wandered through small streets, with the sound of morning mass fromthe nearby churches. I met loads of tourists but also small furry dogs and their masters...and they keep the streets clean of poo.



Then along the promenade, I then saw the water jet. After finding a public toilet, I decided to cross over again and explore the Eaux-vives area, on the south banks.
Going through the Jardin Anglais, I got to see a small fountain and gazebo.




Walking along rue des Eaux-vives and to the park, I stopped for a snack at a bakery. It is good to know which places are open on weekends.
In the park, I came across many toddlers and their parents, at the jungle gym or just roaming the green grass. I got lost for a bit but soon ended up near the tennis club. The it was time to get back to the flat, along the lake, past baby plage, and using the many drinkable water fountains around town.


Before going home for a nap, I took a detour towards the cathedral on the hill behind the flat, and found the recommended restaurant 'chez ma cousine' and a plaza with lots of restaurants. I got sushi to go and rolled down the hill happy, noticing the pharmacy and post office on the way.
Tomorrow, I have to get a deodorant before going to the bank...

No comments: