Sunday, March 21, 2010

Springtime snowboarding

Indeed, to celebrate spring, the weather decided to go bad and be cloudy and rainy. It was the day my first snowboarding lesson was scheduled on. Despite the headaches, the coughing and the sneezing, we managed to drive up to Flaine resort, after running out of petrol halfway and returning back down the mountain to fill up the car. Undefeated, we adorned our helmets, jackets and apparels, hoping the rain would stop soon. The instructor grumpily told me it was the snow was in a perfect consistence for beginners, as it was softened by the rain and warmth. He also admitted though that the resort would be opened for another 5 weeks...considering there was hardly any snow left, i am still wondering if that would be true.

In any case, my struggle with the board and with my balance went on for 2 hours, as I kept falling backwards into the slope, and failed to avoid the huge freezing water puddles on the beginners' slopes. But after 2 hours with the instructor (not even handsome, more like a grumpy old sailor), I managed to do the backside turn and passably get off the chair lift without embarrassing myself. As to the frontside, I realize I still need lots of practice and concentration, and looked very tense in execution.

Next winter, I will definitely snowboard again, and hopefully would not be too sore after wards and walk like a crab...For now though, my cold has caught up with me and forcing me to go to bed while it is still day outside. But first, a hot bath to soak my thighs...

No comments: