Saturday, March 20, 2010

Strolling in Zurich

I had this great idea of going to Zurich for a barbecue on Saturday, and ended up waking u at 7:00am to catch a 8:14 train. I managed to pay 150% of the ticket price instead of 50%, and got into the empty train just in time. I was hoping for a nice quiet time for 3hours, napping and resting. But at Morges, 15minutes later, a whole regiment of teenage boys hopped on and filled every single carriage with babbling and noisy chatters. Of course they were going home after their military service, which is mandatory in Switzerland. I tried to block the noise with my headphones and loud music and catnapped here and there until Zurich. I was already in a  foul mood (not a single handsome man in the whole carriage, despite the uniforms),  but the city of Zurich promised some relief.

Firstly, I bought sore throat tablets form the pharmacy, as my throat was acting up. Then I walked down Banhoffstrasse to Bellevue to admire the magnificent view of the lake and the background snowy mountains. Along the way, the many little streets of the old city showcased the cute architecture, so much different than in Geneva.


 Eventually, it was time to go to the barbecue so I took the long red train-tram to Forch where my ex-colleague was actually having a housewarming as well. It was 30min away from Zurich and it was the first barbecue of the year!!! Instead of alcohol though I had to settle with cold medicine (yiikes) as it was getting obvious that I would not escape the cold.

After much torture making conversation to complete strangers in couples and with babies, I managed to drag away from the party and slept happily in the train, drying my hair from the pouring spring rain and digesting the smoky meat....

No comments: