Sunday, September 03, 2006

a British weekend

There are a few things that I'd say are specifically British, if not just English. I managed to do a lot of those things this whole weekend alone. Forget sailing on the Thames, going to Westminster, drinking in a pub. Those are all very much acccessible to anyone visiting London, doing touristy stuff.

This weekend, I came back from work, had a drink with my flatmate and got so hammered there was no way I could drag myself to the gym. Okay, that is not exceptionally British, I admit, it's just me. However, having a full English breakfast the next morning is quite unusual for me. Imagine: fried egg, baked beans in tomato sauce (mmmm), mushrooms, sausage, and most of all...2 fried toasts! My life span just shortened by 10 years. It also brought back childhood memories of breakfast while travelling with the family.

Another novelty for me was catalog shopping. Even in Africa we used to buy cereals by catalog (and ginger cookies..mm) along with housekeeping items and electronics. That was home shopping though, as we comfortably order from the safety of our sofas. A quite different catalog shopping in London is through Argos. This shop has all invetories on catalog that you can pick up from several 'stores'. For the first time since I've moved to London, I finally got the courage to try shopping from Argos. In the 'store' you get to browse the ctalog as well if you think you can bring it home by yourself. You get to mark the catalog number of the item you need (in my case, blank DVDs), then proceeed to a cashier to pay for it, then wait for the items to be delivered to another counter...and it's really fast!!! It's as fast as ordering and getting a burger!!

It's surprising I haven't seen similar shops anywhere else because the company saves money on retail space by just having stocks out of the way of the customers. Saves them money from theft and magnetic antitheft machine that rings annoyingly at the door. At this point I just imagine everything is automated (like those electronically sorted wardrobes)...

Anyway, it's been a weekend full of new experiences! Next weekend will be a bit different though...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMSTERDAMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Do they have Pandas there?.....

P A N D A ----P----@ said...

They should have pandas, and even of different colours: pink, green, bleu, with lielt red hearts on their bellies, ...ahhhh rhum overdose

Anonymous said...

En parlant de Britich we, j'ai une question pour toi. Qu'est ce que le ou la "marmite" ? C'est un anglais du bureau qui veut nous en faire manger au petit dej ?? C'est quoi ? C'est bon ?