Saturday, April 21, 2007

Hail the chef

Maybe not.
This evening I decided to get rid of some 2 packets of fish bought from the local market. Those are small entire fish that you usually like to eat deep fried, but I have no deep frying machine and was not about to spend a bottle of oil for some fish that will probably burn, knowing my culinary skills.
I do have some skils but i cannot follow a recipe, no matter how simple it is. I always change it somehow. So Elektra suggested earlier in the week that I do fishcakes. Those are good. But first I had to thaw the fishes...a very weird sight...so many fishes in the pot, staring at me with their dead eye..traumatizing.
So for revenge, I cut all their little heads...and only keep the body, that I mixed with potatoes, an egg, and some tempura mix (I am sure this is not the way to use tempura mix). After all that though, and some seasoning to try to get rid of the fishy taste, it wasn't dry enough to make fishballs or fishcakes, so I put them in a litle ramquin. But because I don't kow how to make the oven work (it's a gaz thing and I don't want to explode in my own kitchen), I decided to microwave them for 4min, then put them in a pot for a bain marie..now it has been boiling in there, steam cooking for about an hour,and it doesn't seem to be cooked yet..

I tasted it a bit and to be honest I won't be able to offer some to my flatmates. It is way too shameful..ahem. Next time i will buy fishfingers like everyone. Mind you, my other flatmate was not used to see real fish...kids these days!She's the one who never cooks as well.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh, I can't stop laughing with you fish cakes !!!! lol lol ... Why do you use fish if you try so hard to remove the fishy taste afterwards !!! lol lol

And using the bain marie to make a souffle, hum, how can I say ... ROTFL !!! lol lol .... I'm not sure they will take you as the sous-chef at cucina (or whatever restaurant :D) ...

This all reminds me of the "bouboules pour chien". Mind you, you did not cook anything that time ! lol lol lol

Aie aie, pas taper, mais qu'est ce que tu m'as fait rire !!! lol lol

P A N D A ----P----@ said...

Hey...well it's experimental cooking. I have decided to take the cakes out of the ramequins and boil them, just to make sure it is cooked inside..now they look like grey dim sums...with some soy sauce and spicy sauce, it should be fine...

Anonymous said...

And also, yes, I wanted to confirm, she always changes the recipe, no matter how spicy it is !! Do you remember the cajun chicken me and Fred could not eat anymore in NO ? What did you add to the cajun spices, chili pepper ?

I think now, I could eat it ... but at that time... I remember the burning taste and the stomach cramp ... lol lol lol

Finally, I will put 20 comments for this post only :-) I am actually trying to remember other odd things you cooked, but I can't ... the curry in London was quite normal and good ...

Do you remember the iced strawberry mix we tried to make at VT ? We completely screwed up, but I think this one was my idea ... lol

Anonymous said...

So you actually did it, remove it from the ramequin and boil it ?? Oh please, take a picture of those grey things ! :-)