Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My tasting of Kathmandu

It's been a while since I last was so full I cannot finish a sentence without burping. Now is one of those moments when I cannot go into a supermarket to shop for food because I cannot bear the sight of a single food item. I am so full the sight of food makes me nauseous. ..a rare moment to be fully appreciated:)
The cause of this strange illness? I pigged out on some Nepalese cuisine at the Great Nepalese Restaurant next to Euston station. With Chihiro-san, we had the Nepalese set meal at £13.95 each, and sampled 5 specialties (yes, five!). Nepalese cuisine has a touch of Indian and Chinese food. The Aloo Bodi Tama (Potato, Bamboo Shoot & Bean Curry) was very particular as it is a sour dish as the bamboo shoots are fermented and gives a kick to the curry. It is not very spicy in general , except the saag dish, so all the spices could be tasted beautifully. I like that, because I can enjoy the individual tastes of the cardamom, cloves etc...the dessert and tea at the end just killed us with happiness and sheer near explosion fullness!

It was quite impressive. And I got to hear Chihiro-san speak Nepalese witht he waiters, and learn a bit more on Nepal. Apaarently it is quite a narrow place, North to South, about 250km, but there is a 8000m difference in altitude within that thin strip so you get very different climate from south to north. She mentioned taking a week to go up 2000m from the south, but taking only 2 days walking down! Must be quite a fascinating place with breathtaking sights (and air). Just thinking of all that altitude makes me crash...

I am going to hibernate...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A while ??!! I can't believe that :-) lol lol lol ...

Now, you have to go to Nepal to digest :-) (btw, Nepal is on my list of fancy countries to visit, one day ...)

P A N D A ----P----@ said...

AAAAAAARRRGHHHH....
yeah well it's like Peru..will have tot ake some time to adjust to the altitude