Saturday, May 30, 2009

Suntory hall and the Japan Philharmonic orchestra

I was looking for Chiaki sempai :) But as I was seated in the choir, behind the cellos section, I could enjoy the view of the public and the orchestra.
I discovered instruments like timpan and how he plays, and things like the wind machine, which is fabric around a cylindre that the player turns fast to make high pitch wind, and as it slows down, it is sounding like a gust of wind. They also used cow bells in the strauss piece.
It was a piece with diverse sounds and atmosphere. The orchestra had some glitches though and sometimes not synchronized, but it seemed to be a difficult piece with various entrypoints.
Lastly, my neighbour was a man dressed in kimono and wearing geta, the wooden shoes. He was very elegant, and had many secret pockets in his sleeves. Shame I didnt take pictures.

No comments: