Friday, November 19, 2010

Flirting with studies at Waseda University and Meiji Jingu, Tokyo

I managed to ring the girls in Tokyo for lunch, and also arranged for the evening plans. The hotel was the b ikebukuro so it was very close to sunshine city with all its shopping and playground. I was most curious about the aquarium and wondered if it was the one featured in the j-drama Nanase futatabi (just realized there is a movie too).
So at around 10:00 I was out, after having breakfast on the 2nd floor wine bar...That was the strangest breakfast, as it was a buffet, with Japanese breakfast (pickles, miso soup, rice, fish), korean side dishes (like kimchi), toast and spreads, noodles, and all you can think of eating at lunch and dinner, all that within a space surrounded by shelves of bottles of wine...I was sorry I wasn't that hungry in the morning, and slightly in a rush. My breakfast: natto on rice...

Following and trusting the crowd of salarymen and women walking hurrying to their offices, I remembered that most shops and offices seemed to open after 10:00. Walking past yummy smells of fresh bakery, karaoke establishments, food joints advertising their dishes through sandwich men and women carrying menus, I finally stumbled on one entrance of the Sunshine City...grabbed a map in English and located the Aquarium, as well as a 59th floor restaurants with views. Taking the escalator and going through all the freshly opened and tidy shops was very cool, except for the vendor rushing over to their first customer of the day. In any case though, it was dissapointing to find out the aquarium was closed for renovation. A nice stroll in Namjatown was quite entertaining as well although I forgot to take pictures.

Landing in the 59th floor was a different experience. here the restaurants are hidden behind opaque walls and only a menu is displayed in the corridor outside their entrance. However the Cafe de Crie had bay windows that accomodated my already legs and provided some latte. I have given up trying to understand the name of the cafe...


It was starting to be almost 11:30 and I had a lunch date at Waseda University metro station, so I leisurely got to Ikebukuro JR station and rode to Takadanobaba JR station. From there it was a fun walk on Waseda dori towards the metro station. I saw many Indian restaurants, bookshops, students, cheap and yummy noodle shops (people queuing up outside). In between buildings, small streets lead to quiet residential areas. Eventually I made it to the station and peered with envy at the students rushing out of the station to their classes. Yes, the grass is always greener on the other side...

F-san picked me up after I called her from a payphone, since I had no working sim card (yup, Swiss sim card would not roam to Softbank or other, sniff). She took me to a small eatery owned by this old couple and I had nizakana. It was simply delicious and so comforting. A colleague of hers was eating there as well, and being the only customers, we chatted. His 3rd question was:"what is your goal in life". And I thought I was in a affable, not-direct people kind of country ! Anyway, after the meal, F-san had o return to work, so I gave her omiyage from Switzerland and Kyoto (chocolate and mochi). We walked in front of the Waseda campus landmark, and took some pictures. I also managed to capture the glory o autumn in Waseda.

I wanted to explore the campus but eventually I felt out of place, having no classmates nor classes to crash. The weather was so sunny and beautiful, my initial plan to shop at Roppongi Hills were abandonned for a more outdoorsy activity. So I opted for visiting Meiji jingu . I didn't manage to get to Meiji shrine last year, even if I alighted at the same station (JR Harajuku) to get to Takeshita dori.

After all the busling of shops and restaurants, it was so peaceful to walk in the park, meeting dolled up 3 year-olds after their shichi-go-san blessings, and mingle with other tourists...





 


There were many charms for students at this shrine: unidentified green pamphlets, o-mamori for success in exams. I thought about getting one for my exam but somehow maybe my share of miracles did not have to be wasted on that exam.

And so 17:00 was approaching and my evening appointment at Ochanomizu had to be attended for a night of exploring....

No comments: