Thursday, November 18, 2010

Still enjoying clement weather in Shirakawa-go

I was woken up by the cluttering of cups in the next door room. My room was next to the dining room, and breakfast was ready by 7:30am...I tossed a bit more in bed before giving up to curiosity. To my stupor, there was more to eat than at the previous dinner! I did my best...though I couldn't eat all the pickles.
After lazing up in my warm room and enjoying the view from my window, I started out to walk around the village. The hostess forced me to bring one of her umbrellas as she said the weather was going to be bad. She pointed outside up the hills and they were covered in snow!
 And so I climbed up to the point of view, greeting all the old and bent people I met in the still sleepy village at 9:00
.
I managed to run out of battery in the middle of a photo, so had to rely on my phone for the rest of the day. The phone itself only had 20% left of battery so I was glad to go to Tokyo in the evening. Nevertheless, the village was very pleasant and started to get crowded with Japanese tourists by 10:00. I met a couple of Americans, a few Indonesians and lots of Japanese...Most foreigners I met did the Tokyo-Hakone-Kanazawa-Shirakawa-Kyoto route.

By 11:30 i was tired and ready to lunch, but Is till haven't found the relocated village. Because a dam had to be built, they saved a few houses after much pleading and relocated them into a live museum in Shirakawa-go. This museum is next to the bus stop.



I did my best with my poor phone and even managed to take pictures of myself on the bouncy pedestrian bridge that connects the village to the bus stop..
The ryokan I stayed overnight








No comments: