Thursday, November 25, 2010

Singapore by night

Dinner time at 20:00 was set and I was eager to finally get access into the local food. Mr D. and I set out from the hotel by bus (with A/C yes!) towards Chinatown to eat sting ray. Light rain was falling as we arrived in Chinatown, just few steps away from another block of very high and modern buildings.I let myself tempted into getting a stamp with my name, which the vendor said would be ready by 22:00, when the store closes. On our way onto food street, officially known by another name of course, I saw many fans, charms, jade trinkets, incense, chopsticks stores, and also glass bowls painted from the inside. Because it was raining, the streets were empty, save for the river of water draining from the stored opened on the cobbled streets. it was a nice feeling and the temperature was fresh and pleasant.


We ordered a small sting ray from a street stall and settled outside under a big umbrella. It was so good I can still taste it. The spiciness was just right and with the hot sticky rice and greens, it was the perfect meal. Soon it was time to pick up my name stamp, so we wrapped it up with a photo sent to Mba A. and off we went on strolling.


We first passed a Hindu temple full of cow deities on its fence and roofs, right in the middle of Chinatown. Then we passed a nice old Chinese temple, with a street level elevator and not-so-century-old underground parking lot....I was having trouble adjusting the lighting on my camera so ultimately didn't give credit to this venerable building.



Just a block from the Chinese temple lies an area with quaint European townhouses, holding boutique bars and hotels. We even stumbled on a bar that catered to golfers, as you could practice your swing inside with a huge screen and a wii-like golf club to swing. Mr D. explained that hidden rooftop bars were in this area, usually filled with expatriates.

We then walked around some construction sites to end up across Clarke Quay, where crab restaurant were enticing the passers by with their live crabs outside. Unfortunately, I was told I could not take a picture as they were private property...huh? Never mind.
We crossed over the bridge to immerse ourselves in the lights and nightlife at Clarke Quays. There were interesting bar concepts, such as the Clinic, in which your drinks were served into intravenous hospital pouches...further along, there is the Beer Exchange, where you could see from outside the live ranking for the most popular beer served that night.




After escaping a public embarrassment of slipping onto my buttock on the wet pavement (noone saw me, I think) near the Singapore art museum, my feet took me eventually back to the hotel. It was almost midnight and I was feeling a bit tired.

No comments: