Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sayounara Tokyo

I was planning to get more shopping done before leaving for Narita airport, but I got really lazy an only walked around the block to check out the winter sports shop and music shops around Ochanomizu. Unfortunately it was too early, as most shops don't open before 10:00am. I couldn't even find the ear sticks I was supposed to get, but was unsuccessful. I only managed to get some regular q-tips.

The weather was slightly chilly so I went back to the hotel to get back my huge luggage and headed out slowly to the airport. I was also trying to avoid rush hour on the JR. In Tokyo station, I picked up a luxurious ekiben (station bento, or lunchbox bought in a station), and ha to wait 30minutes for the next Narita Express. It turned out I was to ride one of the new trains put out for about a few months only.

(narita Xpress photo goes here)

I arrived at the airport almost 5hours before my flights at 07:00PM and seriously had to get rid of the suitcase before browsing for last minute souvenirs. One memorable thing about Narita that I did not notice last year was that upon leaving the train, one has to go through security and passport check. So even before you enter the airport, you are lightly checked, in a sense that the luggages do not go through X-rays but your person is still scrutinized at the checkpoint.

I spent another 600Yen securing a big locker for the suitcase and browsed for the shops with a trolley holding my big hand luggage.I scored postcards, t-shirts, ear stick, and colorful kit kat. I also managed to get some face moisturizer as I was running out of it.

(kit kat shot goes here)

After writing my postcards, I easily found the post office and sent all my mail and packages. I felt sad leaving Tokyo. It may be true that I was treated kindly because I am a foreigner on these shores, and wondered how different it would feel to live there. It also felt very easy to feel outcasted and out of place, as the rituals and customs are so complicated. But mostly I was sad to leave because there were still many places and many people I wanted to meet.

I checked in my luggage as soon as the counter opened, and I got a warning from the kind officer:
-"your luggage is a bit overweighted"
-"oh really?!? oh my!"
-"please be careful next time"
-"uhm..., yes, I will...........................(try)"

And so my 26kg suitcase made it on the conveyor belt without further ado, and I got my aisle seat on a Singapore airlines flight. The plane was not full so there was an empty seat next to mine. I was tired and a bit depressed so tried to sleep and prep myself for the excitement of landing in new territory.

No comments: