Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Shimokitazawa, before it dissapears

Shimokitazawa is probably the equivalent of Shoreditch in London (or Camden town?), or the village in NYC.  A few days earlier, it was the scene of Tokyo music festival. The area is being endangered because of some rail development going about in the midst of town. It is a few stops from Shibuya by metro or private line. There must have been some events going on because it seems lots of students were going in that direction, but getting off at Waseda University. I was tempted to go but felt short on time. Instead I thanked my luck for getting me in a non packed train.

This was my last day in Tokyo, and I didn't want to stress but just roam about and enjoy the walk and shopping. Of course I needed to find some outfit tha will remind me fondly of the time spent getting lost in small streets and getting dizzy finding my way back. There were plenty of cute shoes, handsome waiters, music venues, nail bars, second hand shops, African wares, but also Muji shop and Uniqlo. By the time my feet could not walk anymore, I was holding enough bags to fill another suitcase!

During my rummaging, I got to visit a tiny corner shop filled with summer cotton dresses, owned by this Japanese rasta woman. She told me about the area and how redevelopment would change the feel and livelihood of its residents. Later on, I also chitchatted with an owner of an African shop, from which I bought a cute top made of cotton from Ghana...I almost destroyed the shop when I moved around it, as it was so tiny. Another memorable place was a cute clothes shop where they sold fluo and animal print tights worn by young men. They screamed of fashion terrorism but somehow the Japanese guys wear them quite fashionably.

I really like the feel of this part of Tokyo. Hopefully, when I come back, this area will still maintain its vibe.

No comments: