Sunday, November 14, 2010

Looking for the Gods in Izumo-Taisha

I wok up at 03:00am this morning, completely jet lagged still. But I had set my alarm to wake up at 8 so I did my best to go back to sleep...and failed. I napped a bit around 5, but was awake again by 7, seeing the daylight outside and hearing the occupant of the next room wake up and move about her room. She was out by 7:30. They really have an early start over here.

I understood why when I got to the train station and asked to get the tickets and route to Izumo-shi. The clerk asked his colleague and the colleague spent the next 15min in a huge book. I kind of wanted to give up and do the area instead maybe, but I felt bad giving up after he desperately looked for it after 15min. Finally, he emerged and gave me more than I expected. In addition to the train name and schedule he even gave me the platform numbers of arrival and departure!!

And so off I went, very pleased at 9:15 to catch the Hikari again to Okayama...Looking at my tickets I finally realize it would take me 4h to get to Izumo-shi station! I could have left at 4am really.

From Okayama, another train took me across, from the Pacific ocean to the Sea of Japan, passing by Niimi midway, Yunago and Matsue. I arrived at 13:05 in Yazumo-shi and fromt here I had to take another bus for 20min...it was worth it though, as the shrine was not crowded and I could get a nice view of the premises. I am not sure I can get such a view in Ise shrines.


 It is also a popular place for weddings, and for throwing coins in the thatched cords to bring luck I think.
I bought an omikuji for 100yen, which is the cheapest souvenir ever so far, but when I asked the miko to explain if it was good or bad. She started up blabbing and I smiled and stared blankly as I even understood less of what she was saying. So I thanked her and left wondering, whether or not to hang the paper for the bad things to be gone with the wind like these:
Because I didn't know how to tie it down, I took it home. i will have it translated somehow. It cannot be too bad because the only thing I understood from the miko was that it is 50/50. For those wondering what a miko is, they're young women working as priestesses or helpers at the shrine.
Finally, it was time to return to Izumo-shi by bus, because I was getting worried there wouldn't be any trains left for Hiroshima, if it would take me another 4h to get back. Luck struck as I managed to rush into the train going to Yamaguchi,  along the western coastline, so I was guaranteed a sunset on the Sea of Japan, and would finish my loop of the day.
Tomorrow I m leaving the Hiroshima area and will journey northward. Today was a nice day viewing the colors of autumn in the valley of middle Honshu.

No comments: