Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hiroshima

Landing at Kansai International Airport at exactly 9:34am on Saturday, my luggage was searched after the customs officer asked me in Japanese and I answered that it was for 'tourism'. of course he was suspicious, or at least intrigued since I had a French passport, and spoke Japanese, and it wasn't my first entry int he country. Nevertheless he searched everywhere except in the side pocket where I had my Swiss knife and a thread and needle to mend any hemline...Well, at least we made conversation:)

I then made my way to the JR pass window and conducted a whole 'conversation' in Japanese to get the pass and the ticket to Hiroshima. I was impressed myself since I haven't spoken properly for one year and a half! But again, it mostly consited of "onegai shimasu",  "hai, hai" and finally "arigatou gozaimasu". Still I was so convincing the clerk didn't attempt even once to speak in English....:)

I realized it's only 1h30 from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima. That means I will take my time to get to Kyoto on Monday. The express train from the airport to Shin-Osaka left with the cleaning staff cutely waving at the train as it sped off the platform to its destination. I missed a great photo, and even a great video.

I then rembered how cheerful and helpful people are in this country. It is a source of inspiration in term of services. I wish it were like this everywhere. The Hikari Shinkansen stopped at Kobe, Okayama, Fukuyama I think , before getting to Hiroshima. I still enjoy the fact that the ticket controller bows to the whole carriage to greet the customers, and bows again when finished checking everyone in the carriage. It is also thoughtful that all the seats are turned facing forward in the direction of the train, so that everyone is going forward.

In Hiroshima station information office, someone misunderstood my Japanese and gave me a map in English instead. I hadn't eaten since 8:am local time, and I was tired playing treasure hunt (deciphering the signs to find my way in town). So I climbed up in a taxi, and 10min later I was at my hotel.

Dropped my bags and was told to return for check-in at 15:00. Well I had about 1h30 to kill so I proceeded to walk along the Aioi Dori, on main street with lots of department stores (Mitsukoshi, Tokyu Hands, Tenmaya, Fukuya, etc..) and ended up feeling festive about Christmas with all the shop jingles and decorations. And then I got to the Peace Memorial Park and the Gembaku Dome (A-bomb dome):
The cenotaph has colorful and poignant paper crane.

It made me think how tragic it must have been, and how the children on their schooltrip must assimilate the event somehow. On that sad note, I decided to find the Hiroshima castle, before heading out for food before my body collapse.


When approaching the castle compounds, I realized I stumbled on a chrysanthemum flower show. It was quite amazing and I remembered it is the season. One episode of Japanology is entirely dedicated to this flower.


There were all sorts, even the bonsai ones that were so cute.

Impressed by so much craft and hard work, my body finally aknowledged its weakness and I stumbled away fromt he castle, only seeing its outer donjon.

I grabbed some food and feasted on 2 bentos at the hotel.  Tomorrow I will eat out. For now, I need my beauty sleep.





No comments: