Monday, November 15, 2010

Shopping in Kyoto

So i woke up pretty smoothly hearing the shuffle in the corridor, to realize it was 8:49 when my alarm was set to 8:00. Checking it out, I realized the weekend alarm was on but not the weekdays one. I still had time until checkout so I sorted out my things to be used for the next 3 days.
Taking the train was a breeze and the silent car was most welcomed to sleep in.
Arriving at Kyoto station at 12:54 I only got my suitcase sent to my hotel in Tokyo at 14:00 after all the big size lockers were found full and another luggage service only delivered in Kyoto prefecture.
After a nice hot matcha latte, I set out for the ryokan off shijo dori, the main shopping srrret equivalent to Oxford street or 5th avenue. I can boast in sleeping behind the Louis Vuitton shop!
After dropping off my small bag and unfolding a larger one,  I was ready to test my plastic money.
Nishiki market


Looking for facewash
One of the sign entrance to Teramachi, another shopping avenue


 Pickles, pickles..




In the evening, the mission was to snap pictures in Gion an grab some local food. I settled on okonomiyaki and helped some french tourists to navigate the menu. Somehow I always end up being a tourist guide.

Weird wishes on prayer tablets hanging in the okonomiyaki shop

On the way back, I stumbled on a street with lots of host and hostess clubs. Funnily enough the street name is kyamachi dori ( Japanese fans go kyaaaa when they scream of excitement, and machi means town)
There is also an area where there are only bars.

But I went on to Gion watch some maiko leave their work at around 21:00. I knew there were going to be a sighting because a hide of taxis were stationed waiting for their patrons to exit the different restaurants. Seriously thiugh, these ladies walk so fast you'd have to run after them to get a proper picture. Maybe tomorrow I will have the strength...

No comments: